Tuesday, July 9, 2013

the pleasures of the small conference

At the end of our honeymoon, Dave flew back to the US, and I headed up to the University of Leeds for a conference. I've been trying to get to smaller, more focused conferences, so I was quite excited when my abstract on Disney's Hercules was accepted. This was my first paper on a "classical reception" topic, and I was a bit nervous to present an analysis of the movie in the company of much more experienced reception scholars.

I shouldn't have worried. Because the conference was so small (50-odd attendees?), people were so friendly! Introducing themselves in the elevator, offering thoughtful remarks during discussion, approaching after talks to continue the conversation, asking real conversational questions over dinner. I didn't know that conferences could be like this. I had a blast.

But perhaps most important of all is a revelation that came out during my panel. A classicist from University of Vermont was presenting on two children's TV shows about Hercules from the '90s – Disney's "Hercules: The Animated Series" and the "Young Hercules" show on Fox. Do you remember who starred in "Young Hercules"? None other than RYAN GOSLING.


I find this irrationally hilarious, and hope you do too!


5 comments:

  1. SO hilarious!!! omg ryan gosling... (also interesting to me that a small conference is 50 people... how much is a large conference? an average one?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Katie! I think anything that has to do with Ryan Gosling is fun and engaging, even my own card-making world (LOL)! http://virginialusblog.blogspot.ca/2013/07/design-element.html
    Glad that you had a blast at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, looks like we're both on a Ryan Gosling kick, Auntie Virginia!

      Delete