Sunday, July 7, 2013

Madrid

It was hard to top Sevilla's warmth and charm, but Madrid had plenty to offer. We went for late-night freshly-fried churros dipped in hot chocolate, gorged on paella, and walked around the packed squares at night. And we saw amazing works of art at the Prado and the Reina Sofia museums. No photos allowed, unfortunately, but here's a little sample of stuff you can see in Madrid (all works I recognized from my high school history textbooks!):


Hieronymous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights"


Diego Velazquez's "Las Meninas"


Francisco de Goya's "Third of May"


Pablo Picasso's "Guernica"

I remember reading the label in my textbook that "Guernica" is in Madrid and thinking, "Guess I'll never see that painting in person." Haha, high school self! You will indeed see that painting in person!

We also visited the Royal Palace. I had no idea it would be so splendiferous, in the same league as Versailles and the Schönbrunn!


I want to live in a palace!

And to close out my posts about Spain, a picture of Dave with the symbol of Madrid – a berry-eating bear:

As a creature that loves to sleep in the winter, eats berries in large quantities, and loves fish, I have long over-identified with the bear. I have been known, on occasion, to exclaim, "I am a berry-eating bear!" while consuming an entire package of raspberries. So how could I not also embrace Madrid? Thanks, Spain, for a wonderful trip!

3 comments:

  1. Or "raspberry monster" :)

    Katie as high school student : seeing "Guernica" :: Katie as newly minted phD : _______?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm i think that bear is headed over to his blender to make a yummy smoothy out of those berries! ;)
    (love the "high school self"... fun to compare those little moments, how we thought then and how life turns out!)

    ReplyDelete