Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sevilla

The honeymoon posts are not over yet! Sevilla was our favorite city in Spain. It had medieval charm, good food, and fascinating history, yet was manageable, clean, and friendly. You can take romantic walks through the old Jewish ghetto or along the river at night:


 
Here's the iconic Giralda bell tower by the cathedral:


We climbed to the top for a beautiful view of the city. It was mostly a twisting ramp, rather than stairs, so that a muezzin could ride his horse to the top, five times a day, to deliver the call to prayer (back when it was a minaret). We could see the cathedral from our hotel rooftop:


Inside the cathedral (one of the largest in Europe) are the remains of Christopher Columbus himself!


The royal palace, built in Moorish style for Christian rulers:



I LOVED the mix of cultures reflected in the building program and decoration. If I were a medievalist, I would totally want to focus on this kind of thing!

We ate paella in a quaint square, next to a fountain, under the orange trees. (So charming...until a bird pooped on me! Hmph.) We even caught a flamenco show. Our time in Sevilla was too short, and we can't wait to go back someday!

4 comments:

  1. oh this is so fun, I feel like I am getting a tour of spain! I really didn't know anything about sevilla before reading this post. so pretty! I love the golden palace roof...

    ReplyDelete
  2. the golden roof is my favorite part of this post! SO BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For what it's worth, when I was in Kansas City, MO for a conference, I learned that it prides itself as having Sevilla as a sister city, with similar fountains and even a replica of the Girbalda Tower! I can't say my conference experience was the same as your time in Sevilla, but it is a cheaper/shorter flight...

    ReplyDelete