Friday, March 22, 2013

finally, a job!

I'm thrilled to announce that it's official: starting in August, I'll be an assistant professor of Classics at a college in New York City and the director of their intensive summer language program! I made the decision last week, but it took several days for the contract to be generated, arrive, and be signed. As most of you know, I've had a long relationship with the Institute – I learned my Greek there in 2002 and have been a faculty member for the past three summers. Never did I dream of becoming the director, though, or landing a tenure-track position in New York City!

It's going to be a tough job. I'll be tackling duties that most academics don't approach until after tenure, if at all: fundraising, branding and advertising, faculty recruitment and training, curricular development, building partnerships across the city, etc. I'm excited, though, to gain new skills and have a real impact right away. I'll be teaching at Brooklyn College in the spring and directing/teaching at the Institute in the summer; the fall will be for research and publication, as the same research expectations for tenure will apply to me as to other faculty. I'm not exactly sure how I'll balance it all, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

We really struggled with the decision, but I'm feeling increasingly confident that this was the right one. Returning to NYC has long been a dream of mine, and the move will bring us much closer to our parents and families. Last week, we found out that the Fat has matched for his residency on Long Island, so we'll both be moving to the NY metro area! That means more time for me with the Flower and the Florette, which I am particularly excited about. Most of all, the NYC area will hopefully provide more opportunities for Dave to pursue his research. He won't be coming with me right away, but as soon as he can make the move, he will. So cross your fingers that the sequestration won't affect his grant applications and that he will find a hospitable home at a medical school or university in New York soon!

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Dissertation? Check. Job hunt, offer, and acceptance? Check. The Fat/Flower/Florette also moving to NY? CHECK!!! You did it.... now go relax for the first time in a year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so the "wedding" part in the heading is the only one left! hehe. the best one!!
    wow, director of the institute as well!!! so basically-- Hanson, Quinn and LU!!!! Hsu. :D
    "Branding, fundraising, hiring, curriculum-- what an exciting challenge! you'll have a lot on your plate but it sounds so interesting and something really fitting to your abilities, background and gifts. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, hope you are enjoying the chance to rest (or be excited in a "restful way") after all the stressful efforts and tough decisions! And yes, fingers crossed for sequestration (and other matters of the whole system) to go as well as possible and not negatively affect Dave!

    ReplyDelete