Tuesday, March 19, 2013

30

This weekend, I turned thirty. When I think about this particular birthday, I always remember a conversation that I had back in 2005. I was graduating from college and looking forward towards a career in sustainable development and non-profit work, probably in Africa. A woman who was finishing her master's at the Woodrow Wilson School agreed to have coffee with me and talk about her experiences and career trajectory, as she had recently come back from East Africa (as had I). Towards the end of her conversation, she mentioned that she was about to turn thirty. I must have looked appalled, because she laughed at the expression on my face. "Don't worry," she assured me – she was graduating, getting married, and so excited for her 30s."My 20s were so full of drama and figuring myself out. Now I know who I am, I've found the right person for me, and I think my 30s will be my best decade yet."

I'm not sure I have the same confidence, but I'm certainly glad that in my 30s, I won't be crying about whether graduate school was the wrong decision or feeling humiliated about being dumped by someone I was eventually planning to dump, etc. There will be other things to cry over, I'm sure, but at least they'll be new ones!

Dave took me to Chicago for a night to celebrate the big milestone. It was a quick and casual trip, but a real treat to be able to spend time together without an agenda ("we must pick wedding invitations") or an extremely stressful decision to make ("what job am I going to take?"). We heard the Chicago Symphony Orchestra:

 One thing to love about the orchestra: even from the nosebleed seats, you can have a very enjoyable experience!

We also visited the Art Institute, which had a neat exhibit on "Picasso and Chicago." Did you know that Picasso made ceramics, too? This one was my favorite:


"Humph!"

Dave has always impressed me with his knack for giving thoughtful gifts. My birthday present was no exception. This is a print of the area on UM's campus where we got engaged. I've already hung it on my wall, and it will come with me next year to my new apartment!


5 comments:

  1. what a great, relaxing weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great birthday post-- you've come so far in the last 10 years!! life is such a surprise :D how amazing Dave was able to find a print of that exact spot on campus, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps-- i went to an exhibition of picasso's ceramics in belgrade last year! but i don't remember seeing that particular vase... they were cool though, especially the plates with silver inlay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the vase, love the print... love the relaxing weekend. this is good. very good. onward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely recap of your weekend :)

    I totally agree about being glad to start your 30's. The decade has its own problems, but you're so much more settled in who you are, and that makes a huge difference. I feel a little anxious about "being older" but would NEVER relive my 20's (or my teen years)... it's so nice to feel like you can enjoy some hard-earned self-awareness and purpose and relative calm. The 30's will be the best yet!

    ReplyDelete