Tuesday, July 17, 2012

the greatest melon of all

You can keep your cantaloupe and honeydew. I'm always most interested in WATERMELON. And now that it's hot again, it's time to beat the heat by enjoying a delicious watermelon. One reason why I love watermelon so much is that it is one of two words that I can accurately pronounce in Chinese. (The other one is "hot pot.") My favorite childhood memory associated with watermelon is of my grandfather tenderly washing a giant watermelon in the sink, like a baby. He would always have one or two in the refrigerator when we'd come to visit! So it was with great excitement that I recently acquired this specimen:


Such a promising yellow spot! And inside:


Pink and ripe! With a small rind. Perfect!

I refrained from buying watermelons during my first few summers of graduate school, for lack of a watermelon-eating buddy! I have since acquired one. We eat watermelon in several ways:

The classic wedge

Eating in chunks is more civilized, but I miss the slurping.

What happens when you can tired of chewing your watermelon? You drink it! Here's a refreshing glass of sparkling watermelonade:



And yes, it's as delicious as it sounds! Watermelon, lemon, simple syrup, and sparkling water.

And finally, if you are still looking for advice on how to eat watermelon, I recommend this truly astounding video by Petey Greene, which apparently was part of a real TV show. I found the commentary on racial and regional differences especially informative:



6 comments:

  1. To me, watermelon isn't even in the same category as honeydew and cantaloupe, which are just fruit salad fillers that you eat around!

    Another way: cut the watermelon in half, then get a spoon and dig into your "bowl" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping it simple, Julie! Love it. I find your technique especially effective when hungry and hot, standing up, in front of an open refrigerator! I'm so classy.

      Delete
    2. I definitely have "watermelon bowl" meals. The biggest issue is finding an effective spoon which cuts more than sprays!

      Delete
  2. i like that your first watermelon picture featured watermelon on a plate decorated with what i imagined were pictures of watermelon seeds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two extra tips I learned about eating watermelons growing up/in Asia: getting the rind all over your face isn't a bad thing as it's supposed to give you beautiful skin, and eating the seeds means extra fiber. (Is that taking it a step beyond Petey or not?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eating watermelon messily is supposed to improve my complexion? I hardly needed any further motivation, but now I have the perfect excuse to indulge!

      Delete