Saturday, July 7, 2012

Blueberry Cheesecake

Not the world's best picture, but here's a no-bake blueberry cheesecake that I made this weekend:



It's no-bake and quite light! I recommend it as a nice summer dessert (especially when blueberries are on sale at the grocery store). We enjoyed the cheesecake while catching up with Sarah and John, who are housesitting for friends. Their house came equipped with this special webby friend:


I never knew that frogs with such sticky toes live in Michigan! It looked more like an Amazonian frog from the nature specials than the typical pond frog. But an even more special friend is TUCK the awesome dog:


But the real reason I am posting about blueberry cheesecake is so that I can tell the following anecdote: my parents went on a cruise to Alaska to celebrate their anniversary in 1996; it was the first time they had judged my two brothers and me old enough to be left on our own for a week. Of course, while they were gone (and out of phone contact, not to mention email, which hardly seems to have been invented at that point), I broke out with a horrible case of hives! I have a very strong histamic response to the world, and I was miserable. Fortunately, my uncle, who is a physician and lives up the road from my parents, was able to come by and check me out. My brothers and I were generally eating the same foods, but for one exception: the blueberry cheesecake in the fridge. That must've been it! But inquiring minds don't rest. We had to test it out. So after a few days had passed, I ate another giant helping of cheesecake and blueberries. And lo: I broke out in horrible hives again! And I was miserable! Two inquiring minds were put to rest; mine was kept awake by all the itching. SCIENCE!

12 comments:

  1. [Uh, confused about the comments (thought it double posted). I said,]
    When blueberry season strikes ($1/pint?) you should try the blueberry galette:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Blueberry-Galette-with-Lemon-Ice-Cream-109658
    Beware the bubbly overflow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo, this blueberry galette looks delicious! and very easy! I also like the idea of making lemon ice cream out of regular, store-bought ice cream. Haha.

      Delete
    2. It looks so yummy :)

      But I don't get it! Why didn't you break out into hives tonight if you also ate blueberry cheesecake? What changed?

      Delete
    3. I don't really know; I suspect that I was allergic to something funny in that particular cheesecake (maybe it was old or something was off in the berries?), but not blueberry cheesecake in general! I remember one time I broke out in a terrible rash after eating lobster when I was a little girl, and my brothers taunted me that I will never eat lobster again, more lobster for them, etc. etc. And I CRIED. And then I tried lobster the following year, and nothing happened. So I guess sometimes I had these isolated allergic events when I was young?

      Delete
  2. Btw, I tried to make an omelette after being inspired by your mom's amazing brie-and-herb omelette-- and wahhh, it was not nearly as good! It was like a different dish altogether. Haha. Eggs are so difficult for me...

    (I first typed "bride-and-herb" and had to backspace...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm, delicious bride with fresh herbs! =) If it's any comfort, know that you're not alone: I'm never able to recreate my mom's food, even when working off the same exact recipe! It's just something I have to accept in life.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I agree there's some dark magic in that house. . . One thing about eggs is not to use too high a temp, and use lots of oil/good nonstick.

      Delete
  3. i can attest for the fact that this was the *best* cheesecake i've ever had. ever. mmm. tuck wished he could have some, but he's on a strict diet. (normally they feed him high-end cheese as a treat! i kid you not!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw, why is it that in EVERY story in which I am mentioned, I have the role of taunter!? I don't remember being a tauntaun at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you smelled bad...on the outside!

      That's because you WERE a taunter. You have whitewashed your memories! Let us also acknowledge that the same person can, at one time, be a victim of taunting and, at another time, become the taunter.

      Delete
    2. She may be calling you a taunter on her blog... but at your wedding she told very touching anecdotes, including one about ice cream on a bicycle on campus! :)

      Delete