Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Who has the best friends? I do!, Vol. II

I posted earlier about how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends. One of the silver linings I've discovered about going through this challenging period of stress, self-doubt, and deadlines is that the abundant love and support of my friends and family have become even more obvious. I'm so glad that I don't have to do this alone! Sarah B. has been staying up-to-date on all of my milestones and bringing dinners and treats to my place. Julie and Katie are the ultimate cheerleaders, always helping me stay positive and offering their encouragements (not to mention Julie's help on my cover letters!). The Fat and the Flower text me adorable pictures of the Florette every day. My mom sent me home in October with so much food that I'm still working through my freezer – no sad eating for me! Dave doesn't yell at me when I yell at him. He's the best!

I was prompted to write down and share these reflections because of a surprise gift today from Shuen:



That's right: flowers, teddy bear, AND candy! It's like Valentine's Day with a new boyfriend! Seriously, though, I feel so loved. And her timing is perfect: today marks the beginning of the final push. I met with my advisor for what appears to be the last time before I turn in the dissertation to the committee on November 30th. To the finish line!

4 comments:

  1. DISSERTATION NOVEMBER 30! best thanksgiving break you'll ever have. just kidding. want to celebrate with a thanksgiving post thanksgiving?? seriously! we can make turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, pie!!! it'll be so fun!!!!

    seriously though - let me know if you want me to read it over for formatting (i did that for liz - not reading the text, just looking at margins, numbering, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! i think i may need the help with the formatting...yes, i'll be in touch about that!

      Delete
  2. FINAL PUSH!!!!!! Awwwww I wish I could do your thanksgiving post thanksgiving with you!!!! Do you have a "winter break" to speak of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not really sure about what kind of "winter break" i'll have...i'm definitely coming back to the east coast, but it's unclear to me how relaxed i'll be able to be. the APA is the first weekend in january, so not only will i be finishing my paper, but i'll also be prepping for interviews, which i expect to be a lot of work. i'm also unsure of what kind of revisions my committee will want from me...some dissertations only require cosmetic changes, and others need significant overhauls. we'll see!

      Delete