Sunday, November 4, 2012

Love, a poem by George Herbert

Last week was truly awful, and I have nothing good to say about it. So instead, I'll post this 17th-century poem about love!

An old friend shared it with me a long time ago, but I found myself considering it more carefully recently. In addition to its clear Christian meaning, I think it illuminates the abundance and generosity of true romantic love as well. Don't love and feasting make a great pair? Or am I just thinking this way because Dave has been making me dinner more often?? =) (*Correction: Sarah B. has also been making me delicious dinners! More love!)

LOVE bade me welcome; yet my soul drew back,
     Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-eyed Love, observing me grow slack
     From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning           5
     If I lack'd anything.

'A guest,' I answer'd, 'worthy to be here:'
    Love said, 'You shall be he.'
'I, the unkind, ungrateful? Ah, my dear,
     I cannot look on Thee.'     10
Love took my hand and smiling did reply,
     'Who made the eyes but I?'

'Truth, Lord; but I have marr'd them: let my shame
     Go where it doth deserve.'
'And know you not,' says Love, 'Who bore the blame?'      15
     'My dear, then I will serve.'
'You must sit down,' says Love, 'and taste my meat.'
     So I did sit and eat.

http://www.bartleby.com/101/286.html 

7 comments:

  1. I'm SO GLAD your awful week is over! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

    And thanks for sharing this poem-- love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad my dinners have been so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a very nice poem. glad to feed you anytime :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this song is true love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDqrW85RECE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this video might be the reason i was under the mistaken impression that people can fit into school lockers.

      Delete
  5. Hi,
    I need to reduce 25kg .How numerous ultimate system is ample for me?


    Check out my web blog: weight loss foods for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  6. has anyone tried Celebrity Sexy Teeth Whitener'? i just bought 3 tubes for $99. supposed to whiten your enamel 8 shades in 14 days using it 2x day. with the applicator apply a thin layer on each tooth and let it set for 30 min. before drinking/eating. last night was my 1st time. we'll see.
    BUT the info doesn't say how long using their whitener lasts before you have to buy another tube!!!

    My web page :: dental pro 7 amazon

    ReplyDelete