Monday, September 17, 2012

Groupon Death Watch?

Have Groupon, Living Social, et al. jumped the shark? I buy a Groupon or Living Social voucher about once a month. I'm always glad to see a business I'm already planning to patronize promote an offer, and Dave and I have gotten to try a few new restaurants this way. But plenty of analysts have predicted the death of these over-hyped startups...something to do with a predatory business model that drains small businesses without bringing a new, consistent customer base in return. Besides, how many massages, mani/pedis, or photo-printed canvases could one person want?

My own prediction of Groupon's decline is based on the following offers I've received in the past two weeks:

1) concealed-pistol classes













2) laser toenail fungus removal














3) colon hydrotherapy












See how colon hydrotherapy makes my lower digestive tract feel like a heart? Thanks, Groupon!

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be so certain that this is a sign of impending doom: 320 people signed up for the weapons class, 84 for the laser toenail treatment, and 230 want their colon cleansed. Go America?

5 comments:

  1. i raised an eyebrow myself at the weapons class! oy! but i did NOT notice the numbers on those deals... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Groupon wrote that insipid line describing the pillow on sale... yes, a pillow--"easy to care for like an independent pet rock". GROAN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. on another totally unrelated note... D is no longer anonymous after this entry... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, that's because D. pointed out to me how stupid it was to pretend that he remains anonymous, when the only people who read this blog are my personal friends and family! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh! I just got a Groupon email that said "Because you bought ____, we thought you'd be interested in _____." Well, because I bought a groupon for spinning at Vie Fitness & Spa, they thought I'd be very interested in a Groupon for ... pole-dancing classes! Excuse me?! Oh Groupon...

    ReplyDelete