Monday, June 11, 2012

Structure

What aspects of a wedding are most memorable to you? When I think back on the many weddings I've been fortunate to attend in recent years, I often don't remember the things that I suspect brides and grooms spend a lot of time planning. I have a hard time remembering what favors were left on the table; what the color scheme was; what kind of bows were on the pews at the church; what kind of centerpieces were on each table, etc. Instead, I remember how I experienced the day. I remember sitting in a sweltering church without air conditioning on an August Saturday; the time when dinner was served an hour late and I was starving; the outdoor ceremony in September when we all unexpectedly froze; the deafening band, or the obnoxious D.J.; the place with NO PARKING.

I've recently been trying to prioritize these "structural issues" more. There are a lot of places in New Jersey that I think are tacky and make no sense: why is there a fountain in the middle of the floor? What is this indoor waterfall with silk plants doing in the wall of the ballroom? Why is this carpet so ugly? Who decided it was necessary to paint blue sky and clouds on every ceiling? But I've been realizing that maybe the aesthetics aren't as important as other aspects of a venue: is it the appropriate size? Will there be enough food? Will there be good climate control? Is the layout intuitive? Are there enough bathrooms? I saw a beautiful country club that was just my style, but all the sales staff were really alarmed at how many people we are planning to invite. Is it worth holding my wedding at that country club, if everyone feels crowded and squished? And they find it a difficult task to get up to use the bathroom?

D. and I went venue-shopping this past weekend, in addition to the other places I've already visited with my mom. We saw a whole bunch of places, and even reserved a date at two of them! So now we are holding a date at four different venues. I wonder if you're not supposed to do that! Anyway, we are trying to have the wedding in the second half of May or the first half of June. It's starting to come together!

4 comments:

  1. how exciting! i agree - structural issues are important, and it's great you are thinking about it. do you have guests who will be in wheelchairs? something to think about: are the bathrooms big enough for them to feel comfortable...? are there many stairs/are the ramps appropriate? ah so many things to think about.. still - it DOES sound like you have some good options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, SB! do you have other suggestions for structural issues that we should be thinking about? i don't think we'll have anyone in an actual wheelchair, but we will certainly have some elderly guests whom we will want to make comfortable. not sure what else i should be considering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What aspects are most memorable to me? I always remember what the bride and bridesmaids wore! But I know it's early to be talking about that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mostly remember the people I was seated next to for 2+ hours (for better or worse), so we'll have to make sure to get that part right! :)

    ReplyDelete