Monday, June 4, 2012

Comfort and cheer

So, the room that I'm subletting in NYC is...not exactly comfortable. It's one bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment. The room itself is tiny, and because the overhead light is burned out, is dimly lit by a table lamp. The air conditioner is so musty that it aggravates my allergies. The double bed has no frame or boxspring; apparently, it rested on two trunks, one of which has been taken away by girl I'm subletting from. So half of the bed is unsupported and rather...slanty. So I can't really sit on the edge of the bed to eat, which would be nice, because there is no coffee table or dining table or desk with a chair in the bedroom or living room. Where do these people sit and eat?? Loud drunks smoke weed on the stoop by my window at night. One of the roommates moved out yesterday, and another roommate is shifting her stuff to the empty room and has found her own subletter to take her now-empty bedroom, so it's rather chaotic. There no longer is internet in the apartment, and someone has begun (but is not close to finishing) painting the walls blue. I could go on. Perhaps I've forgotten how people in New York live? The good news is that I'm only staying for a month, I'll be gone on the weekends, I feel safe on my street, and I can walk to work! Furthermore, I purchased a pair of flip-flops from Old Navy today for $3.94, so I'll have something clean to wear inside the apartment at all times.

Even better news: I returned from Philly this morning to find this sitting by my door:



















That's right, D. had sent me flowers to cheer up my dismal room! Isn't he the best? And aren't they so bright? It's a big and bountiful bouquet. Tonight, after the library closes and I have to go home, I will lean on the edge of my bed, stare at my lovely flowers, and stuff my face with a box of raspberries my mom gave me. Thanks, team!

4 comments:

  1. The D-train will take you away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Awwww, perfect room brightener!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear!! i love your good news hahahha :) and the flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete