Tuesday, April 9, 2013

someone call a copy editor, please

Has anyone else noticed that the copy editing at the New York Times has become dreadful? I know we're all living in an age of the 24-hours news cycle, etc. etc., and that the constant updating of the webpage almost guarantees typographic errors (as well as errors in reporting and sourcing, but that's a topic for another time). This irks me frequently, but tonight reached a new low.

Sure, I'm not the biggest sports fan at UM, but Dave and I actually made the effort to watch the game tonight – the men's basketball national championship. We don't have TV, so we went to a pub with a friend and actually bought drinks and watched our team lose to Louisville. No amount of my encouraging ("More points, guys, MORE POINTS") or hectoring ("Rebounds are IMPORTANT") seemed to make a difference. I returned home to grade papers, which never puts me in a good mood anyway. So I was particularly annoyed to see the caption below this picture:


That's right, jubilant Louisville players in their red uniforms, accompanied by an erroneous caption that mocks our pain. No, Michigan did not defeat Louisville, 82-76, as the line directly below the caption indicates. This is a fact. But thanks for suggesting the idea. Get it right, folks.

2 comments: