Saturday, May 19, 2012

Strapless can be scary

It looks like my first real post is going to be about wedding dresses. <sigh> How is it that wedding dresses come in truly infinite variety, yet they all end up looking the same? All of my married friends were lovely brides, and I cared very much about their weddings. Most of their wedding dresses were completely unmemorable. Ummm...white? strapless? some embellishments?

Variation in neckline and silhouette will not remedy this problem entirely, but I do think this Slate article points the way forward. And many thanks are due to Kate Middleton's lovely dress, which will shape a generation's idea of a glamorous wedding. I'm unlikely to choose a similar style, but it's hard to argue with more options for all!

(Getty images)

2 comments:

  1. I agree... and Kate has helped a generation feel like "glamorous" doesn't have to mean "sexy"-- I love how she looked elegant and classy. Lily Allen just a few months later also wore a very sweet dress with long lace sleeves, and Kate Moss's dress (no sleeves, but with straps) was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, first comment! =) oh no, julie, are you going to inspire me to start paying attention to celebrity styles/weddings?? i agree that the "strapless white dress but with lace on top w/ sleeves" look is really elegant and beautiful -- but that's what grace did for her wedding dress! i don't want to look too similar...

    ReplyDelete