Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off to a good start

I've been in New York for less than 24 hours, but so far, it's been great! I've actually been having a lot of mixed feelings these past few days about coming to teach at the Institute this year; I feel anxious with all the other business I ought to be attending to (see June goals post below), and I also find it increasingly difficult to be away from D. It didn't help that when I came briefly to NYC on Monday to drop off the bulk of my stuff in the place I'm subletting, I discovered that the bedroom I'm renting in Hell's Kitchen is tiny and dark, and in a filthy apartment.

That sublet doesn't actually start until Friday (provided that the annoyingly flaky girl who lives there actually remembers our appointment to give me the keys), so in the meantime, I'm staying with my lovely friend, Benet. Work started today, and I was reminded of how much I really love the Institute. I felt genuine joy at seeing my boss and colleagues again and, even though it's been a year since we've taught together, we picked right up where we left off! The Institute really is a special place: how many times in your life have you felt enormous respect for all of your co-workers? or thought that you share a common set of values and standards? I love the Institute because it's a place where an extremely high standard of excellence is set for both students and faculty. For so much of the year, I can get away with doing work that's a little shoddy around the edges, partly-formed, or frankly half-assed. Not here! It's a privilege to work at a place that challenges me and keeps me on my toes. It's my tiny oasis of order in a chaotic world. ;)

Okay, I'm writing these thoughts down so that when I'm exhausted and dreaming in Greek in a few weeks, I'll remember why I do it. =)

The rest of my day was also a pleasure: a Shake Shack burger to soothe the stresses of Times Square, and rush tickets to a fantastic show! I can't recommend enough the play I saw tonight, Peter and the Starcatcher. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a live performance so wholeheartedly. My interest was piqued by Ben Brantley's NYT review from a little while ago – he's never so positive! And his judgment proved correct: the play was whimsical, clever, hilarious, touching, and well-acted with inventive production. There were two little girls sitting in front of me and Benet, and they were CRACKING UP at all the jokes and imitating them immediately to each other. We were laughing too! Now that is effective comedy. I won't bore you with more descriptors; if you're in NYC anytime soon, snap up some tickets at the TKTS booth and go!


6 comments:

  1. love reading your blog entries, dearie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that show sounds fantastic! would that i were in nyc sometime this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you would call it "out of this world"! it was surprisingly packed for a wednesday night before school has let out, so i think it will be a successful show...which means, touring company! maybe it'll come to detroit.

      Delete
  3. Aww. I just read the review-wish I could watch the show. I love coming-of-age stories and modern entertainment that has crudeness-free humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D. misses you too :)

    ReplyDelete