Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Granada

After an intense few days in Barcelona, we hopped a short flight to Granada. I remember learning about the Alhambra in high school, but I just assumed I would never see it – after all, when would I ever make it to Granada?? 16 June 2013, it turns out!

We rented a car, dropped off our bags at a "basic" hostel, and immediately headed to a viewpoint to see the Alhambra bathed in the sunset.


The site itself was even more stunning. The Generalife Gardens were amazing! The greenery, fountains, and blooming flowers were so soothing on even a mild afternoon – I can only imagine the relief they provided in a pre-air-conditioning-era summer.



My skills as a photographer are insufficient to capture the wonders of the Nasrid Palaces. But I tried my best:


Every inch of the walls in the public reception rooms were covered with these beautiful decorations.


A domed ceiling with stucco "stalactite" decoration

I've never seen Moorish architecture like this before, and I loved it! The intricacy of the decoration, the use of light, the demarcation of public and private – wonderful. I only wish I knew more history of that area and era to help me appreciate it more.

Granada also has some impressive Christian sites as well. Did you know that King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella are buried there? No pictures allowed, unfortunately. I know this is silly, but I had almost forgotten that they were real people. An unforeseen consequence of reading too many children's books about the discovery of America?

The city also has quite the impressive cathedral.


Check out that organ!

It's a shame we only had one night and one day in Granada – there was plenty more to explore! But I'm glad we saw what we did.

1 comment: