Monday, May 13, 2013

Graduation

I finally did it! After seven years of school, I walked in my graduation, way back on May 3rd. I was surprised by how emotional I felt. In my department, graduation is generally pooh-poohed. Although four people in Archaeology walked, I was the only representative from Classical Studies. Here I am freshly hooded and diploma-ed:


I got to shake hands with President Mary Sue Coleman, my first time meeting her!


The last person to receive a degree was this elderly man who needed help getting out of his seat, up the ramp, and across the stage. He received a PhD in Chemistry, a standing ovation from the audience, and a bear hug from Mary Sue (zeugma, anyone?). I don't know what his story is, but I felt so moved. In my department, if we had to fill in the blank in the phrase "my ___________ PhD," we would all pick the same modifier, "my worthless PhD." It's almost as consistent a pairing as "hardy mums." And yet here was an old man who clearly DID think there was worth to his degree, and never gave up until he achieved it!

The whole Lu clan came to town to celebrate:

Proud parents

Big brothers

New additions

 Where I get my "famous" sense of humor

The one who dries my PhD-induced tears

We had gorgeous weather the whole weekend! We visited nearby Chelsea, shared dinner with my advisors, played in the park, and walked around town. It was actually really nice to mark the close of these years, my life in Michigan, and my formal education (let's hope!).

6 comments:

  1. ahhhhhhhhhh congratulations!!! love seeing you in your cap and gown! you did it kluster :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know all about the guy with the PhD in chemistry!

    Why can't the major media outlets tell stories like THAT, instead of cramming the education sections with identical stories about student loan debt or the decreasing value of a law degree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree! we all wish that someone had spoken a few words about him, but unfortunately, we haven't been able to track down his story!

      Delete
  3. EXCUSE ME, PROFESSOR. I HAD TO GOOGLE WHAT "ZEUGMA" MEANS. I don't know whether that raises or lowers your score on ratemyprofessors.com... I guess it depends on whether you give me an A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing you with that scroll in your hand! Now so excited to see you with a bouquet... :)

    ReplyDelete