Saturday, October 6, 2012

a surprise guest

I have an unexpected overnight guest tonight. Dear friends, meet "Cat":
"Cat" was wandering outside my apartment building. It is the coldest night of the year so far – windy, rainy. "Cat" looked miserable! "Cat" also is de-clawed, well-groomed, obviously unafraid of people. "Cat" even has a tag with a Michigan Humane Society ID number on it. After she was meowing plaintively and trying to follow me inside my door, how could I turn her away?

As a side note, a cyclist was hit by a car outside my window just two nights ago, occasioning my very first 911 call. (It took 90 seconds for the dispatcher to pick up, which does not inspire confidence for the future.) The motorists stopped their car and immediately got out to help, but it didn't look great: the cyclist lay in the crosswalk until the ambulance, police, and firemen carted her away. I've been feeling nervous about crossing the street ever since! And no one likes to see household pets flattened on the pavement...

So "Cat" is spending the night with me, until I can drop her off at the Humane Society in the morning. With the help of her ID, the Humane Society should be able to match her with her proper owners. In the meantime, I'll try to enjoy the company. Dave is allergic to cats, so this might be my only chance!

I warned "Cat" not to get too comfortable, but she seems strangely unperturbed:

Goodnight, "Cat"! Please try to relieve yourself in the makeshift litterbox I put together for you with dirt and mulch I stole from the planters outside.

5 comments:

  1. adorable little kitty cat :) hahahhah well done on the makeshift litter box! very mcgyverish of you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, "mcgyverish"! the one and only time this adjective has been applied to me...and it wasn't even my idea! fortunately, i have like 10 insane cat ladies on call at all times, and my friend emily told me what to do.

      Delete
  2. Update: I dropped off "Cat" at the Humane Society this morning, and fortunately, she was microchipped! Turns out her owners reported her missing a week ago. Happy ending! And hurray for a terrifying technology being used for good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, she's so adorable! I love how you described her personality.

    How frightening to have to call 911 ! Did you see the accident, or did you hear it and run over to the window? Sheesh!!!!! I hope she's okay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. hooray for good samaritans like you to call 911, wait 90 seconds (!!) AND save a cat. but seriously. 911 calls shouldn't take that long :-(

    ReplyDelete